03 Apr 2000
Prudential and Vodafone - A new financial service for mobile phone users
Prudential today becomes the first UK insurer to launch a listing of its services on a mobile phone network. Vodafone customers with a WAP-enabled* mobile phone can access the services via the UK’s only WAP directory.
Prudential’s WAP site provides contact numbers for its range of products, with the facility to connect directly to one of its customer call centres. From the range of services listed, including insurance, pensions, savings and loans, a simple click-through facility connects mobile phone users to a Prudential tele-consultant, enabling them to make personal enquiries about products, or obtain an instant quote for motor or home insurance.
Andy Lucas, Manager of E-commerce at Prudential Retail said: "We want to provide people with internet access to our services not only from the fixed PC, but from the mobile phone in their pockets. This will give customers access to personal finance information when they are on the move."
"Prudential Retail’s E-Commerce division plans to expand significantly in 2000, and our main objective is to continue to be a multi-channel financial provider," explains Andy Lucas. "At least 1.5 million of our existing customers own mobile phones, and initiatives like this will provide people with more choice in how they communicate with us."
Tel: 020 7 334 6048
Out of office hours: 0411 015130
Prudential Retail PR
Tel: 020 7 334 4319 / 023
Outside of office hours: 0411 717824
Fax: 020 7 334 4412
Vodafone AirTouch Press Office
Tel: 07000 500100
Citigate Dewe Rogerson
Tel: 020 7 282 2921
Mobile: 07961 394 220
- *WAP - Wireless Application Protocol - WAP-enabled mobile phones have been available through Vodafone's distributors since January 2000. Any mobile customers with a WAP-enabled phone can access Prudential's services through the Vodafone network.
- A guide to configuring WAP devices is available at www.vodafone.net. After configuration, to visit the Vodafone WAP Directory on a WAP device, click on HOME from the Vodafone WAP Homepage.
- Vodafone announced in January 2000 a number of additional UK partners to enrich the content of its Interactive and WAP Services, available through the Vodafone WAP Gateway. Vodafone also announced the creation of its Directory which contains a list of the latest sites which are accessible to customers with WAP compatible mobile phones and devices. It is expected that 90% of new mobile phones will be WAP-enabled by December 2000. (Source: Financial Times article- 15th March 2000).
- For information on Vodafone's WAP services visit www.vodafone.net.
- Photographs enclosed of Clare Chandler, Business Development Director, Prudential Retail, holding a WAP-enabled mobile phone, the Nokia 7110. Further photographs available from Christine O'Grady at Prudential on 0171 334 4319.